152MC – Final Book

So I am proud to announce that my book has been finally made! After a lot of research, binding difficulties and endless of late nights, I have finished this module. I am very sad its over but relieved at how happy I am that the book is what I wanted it to be.

After practicing with the binding many times, and looking at different tutorials I finally got the binding pattern I wanted. I made the cover of the book black as I didn’t want it to be a bold piece. I also made the string black as well. As I’ve mentioned in the previous blog post, I had some difficulty getting binding waxed thread on time. I ordered a cream thread as I thought this would contrast well with the black card for the cover. However, when I went to hobby craft, the only thread thick enough was the one I used. Also they only had it in black. However, this turned out to be an advantage for me as I like how its all the same colour. The thread isn’t waxed thread which my lecturer recommended but I like how this thread sheers a bit, to give the book an old fashioned vibe. This relates well to the old archive images at the start of the book. I made the binding quite tight, this was probably one of the hardest things I’ve had to do. When stabbing my pages with the tool needed, I realised that the hole wasn’t big enough, as the thread was much larger than the thread I practised with. Therefore I took me a while to get the thread through the holes each time. Here is an image to show you the difference of thickness,

I wanted the bind to be tight because if the binding was loose, it would make the book look untidy which changes the way the book looks as a whole when it was completed. I decided to use Japanese stab binding as I thought this was the easier one to make when making my dummy books. As I had a lot of prints, I thought this would look better in a stab binding book. I didn’t want the pages to be printed on two sides, so I thought that stab binding would suit this better. My book is quite simple in relation to the images, so I thought a stab bind would give the book a more complex vibe. I used the simplest pattern as I didn’t want to make the book look a mess. I think the way its turned out is perfect and I am very happy with the finishing result.

Sequencing the order of the images was something I struggled with. Shown through my blog post on sequencing, I went for the second option. I decided to start the book with the title, then it went onto the black and white images. To show the start of Alison’s life, leading up to colour which represents the newer the images. I then gave hints to my reader that Alison is deaf by showing images such as deaf bowls, telling the audience what the narrative is. I then made Alison’s story the last thing that the viewer reads. Making them go away and think about what they have just read. I made the images to be printed on one side. This is because if they were printed on double sides, the reader would have difficulty looking at the images. With a Japanese stab binded book, the book doesn’t lay flat when turning the pages, therefore it will be difficult to look at all of the images. The title is something I am most happy with. Silent World was the initial title I was going to use, but with the story Alison gave me, she gave that her own title, calling it ‘My life in a Silent World’. Therefore it was only right to name it this. I made ‘Silent World’ in bold, as it makes the audience think about what this might mean. For example, a silent world might mean someone who is lonely. I didn’t want my book to be fancy, such as having a bold colour. I wanted my book to resemble something like a scrap book or a photo album. To make the viewers experience more personal. This is why I created the book with the simplest colour. I couldn’t use a hard cover for my book, as the stab bind wouldn’t have allowed it to open. Another reason why I made the cover so plain was because I wanted my audience to start the book with no knowledge of that they are about to read. I didn’t include the title on the cover as it would only give away the story behind the book and make it look too messy. As I binded the book myself, I was in full control of how the book was going to turn out like, and I am completely happy with the result.

The style of the book was something I was sure about. I wanted the book to follow a scattered effect, which I believe it has at the beginning. The book starts with the family photos, which are quite random, and the audience is unaware of Alison’s deafness. The photographs give a little narrative but not the full picture. However, when the reader gets to the end of the book, they are revealed with the true narrative. I believe that having the reader fully exposed to the narrative at the end of the book is effective, as it allows them to leave the book thinking about it. I hope that my reader is educated by my book, by the different activities that the deaf community provides. Each reader of mine may have a different narrative depending on what they think about the deaf community and what they have experienced. This relates back to my research with Barthes Studium and Punctum, as the reader is in full control of what interests them or not. I hope that my book can be read by everyone, as it is not directed at a type of audience. Anyone can be deaf, wether their old, young, from a different country etc. Therefore my audience is directed to everyone. While doing this project, it educated me greatly and it gave me more of an understanding what the deaf community brings. I think my book and research is a representation of the deaf community and how together they are. They look out for each other, this is clearly shown when I researched about Goldings Church. This is because the church is provided for the deaf people to come together as one, without being stared at by hearing people. For deaf people to feel normal, as they are surrounded by people who are just like them.